Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Gone, Quickly Forgotten

"SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDANE"
Sure, sure-there will be plenty of tributes to Williams, tear-filled microphone grabs at his memorial service, Internet conspiracies abounding over each nibble of information.
Short and very sweet:
Troubled.
Suicide.
Gone.
I have compassion for his family and friends, but must point out that Robin Williams is responsible for their tears and heartbreak.
He did it.
To them.
The last selfish act of a cowardly selfish man who didn't care enough about his daughter to remain in her life.
Look back through the archives at the regular FDW and you will find a review of "August Rush", the last movie that I'd seen which he was in. I think I called him the 'worst part of the movie', so at least I'm consistent.
I was a teen in the 1970's-I watched his TV show, and liked him in "Popeye". That was about it-he wore out his welcome with me a long time ago.
I think that he probably decided to kill himself during a week when there wouldn't be any other "BIG" story to upstage his exit. I assume that that is how calculating he was. It all had to be about him.
Do I sound harsh? Maybe. But I see people every day throwing away the gift of Life that God has given to them. Many of them are slow suicides-still alive, but drinking/doping themselves out of existence. They say that Life is so horrible that whatever comes next must be better.
No, it's not.
Not unless you are a Christian, saved by God, headed for Heaven and here's a little nugget for you: while it is not impossible that some Christians might find Life unbearable, most of us living for God in the here and now know that Life is not bad but VERY, VERY Wonderful!
Sure, sure-I want to get to Heaven, but I'll get there on God's timetable, not mine. If I am to remain here until I am a very old man, Praise God! If my ticket is punched tonight before I finish this sentence...(waiting...)(waiting...) then...Praise God!



2 comments:

Unknown said...

In other news, Hilclinton is talking smack about her former boss, our commander in chief. Oh, and they've already begun pre-season football for those of you who care.

Unknown said...

AAAaaannnnddd...
Lauren Bacall passes away. Unintentional upstaging complete.
She had a full, long life, and she had a stroke.
It may not sound like it, but there is mercy in that. I'm not saying that she is in Heaven-but, as we all will die someday...quickly is better.