Monday, November 11, 2013

Preaching From The _______ (plural)

14    “Issachar is a ______ donkey,     Lying down between the sheepfolds.

19So the LORD shifted the wind to a very ______ west wind which took up the locusts and drove them into the £Red Sea; not one locust was left in all the territory of Egypt.
 
13It came about when the sons of Israel became ______, they put the Canaanites to forced labor, but they did not drive them out completely.

Enough of that. I've come to dislike 'fill in the blank' teaching, as I see it as ineffectual, and mostly a waste of paper. If we didn't know the answer before we filled in a blank, we won't know it again the second we've move on to the next. It might work better among first graders who are just learning words, but for adults it seems a lazy teaching tool.

Since I am already in _______, as in: " 35When he saw her, he tore his clothes and said, “Alas, my daughter! You have brought me very low, and you are among those who ______ me; for I have given my word to the LORD, and I cannot take it back.” ...
I hope that we will not next be going through Psalm 119 from Aleph to Tav. The words are pure and wonderful for personal meditation, but the similarities between the verses make for tough slogging if one tries to find something fresh and new to say about each and every verse. It is possible to get bogged down in minutia. Who would want to make Bible study boring?


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I didn't strictly time myself, but this post took about 40 minutes to toss together.
It felt kind of good to take my
________ ___________ off of the shelf-I don't open it as often as I used to, now that I am digitally enhanced.

I should mention again the reason for this short series:
feedback. Our elder board is at the moment nearly non-existent, and I feel that our pastor needs feedback about his methods as criticism can be helpful.
When I was at my job, if I had refused to listen to criticism, if I had simply done things my way...well, we had such a person working who also decided to go on five weeks vacation in the middle of a project. She's no longer working their.
Neither am I right now, but it wasn't due to my work ethic or performance-once again the job I signed on for ended. I may be back, if that is where God would have me be. For now I'm following the precept: "Worry is the opposite of Worship" which I've learned reading a book by Dr. Jeremiah.